Another of the writing exercises we did on the Arvon Course was to write a piece of dialogue without using ‘he said’ ‘she said’ lines. We were the following details to include in our piece:
- A location – Farmyard
- Object – Remote Control
- Person 1 – Mary, a journalist
- Person 2 – Louise, a student.
Here is my piece…
“How was college today?”
Louise grunted “Alright”
“That it? Why don’t you talk to me anymore?”
Mary walked across the room and picked up the remote control.
“Don’t mom, I’m watching this”
“The news is on shortly and you havent’s answered me yet”
“You spend all day writing the news, why do you have to come home and watch it too? and I’m talking now aren’t I?”
Mary sighed. “Okay so tell me about your day, what did you do?”
“The usual, classes, hung out, nothing special”
“Hmm, that’s a start I guess” Mary glanced at the TV, an image on cows in a milking barn was showing. “Why are you watching a programme about a farmyard?
“For my assignment”
Mary sat next to Louise who is sprawled out on the reclining seat of the sofa, laptop at her side, can of coke in her hand.
“An assignment about farmyards on an IT course, how does that work?”
“This is the most advanced farm in the country mom, look at all that equipment, the whole thing is virtually run by computers” Louise’s eyes lit up as she spoke. “The automation of so many processes that people used to have to do manually, it’s awesome!”
“How do they manage that?”
“Well its all about the programming, the right command code and you can almost make the machines do anything. The next stage is introducing self-learning so the robotic elements can correct their own mistakes, artificial intelligence…”
- Totleigh Barton – Arvon Writing Course. Part 5 (slgrigg76.wordpress.com)
- Totleigh Barton – Arvon Writing Course. Part 6 (slgrigg76.wordpress.com)
- Flash Fiction Friday – Postcard prompt (slgrigg76.wordpress.com)
- Flash Fiction Friday – Picture it and Write (slgrigg76.wordpress.com)
- Short Story 20: Flash Fiction (caeblogs.wordpress.com)
- Friday Flash Fiction – “Old News” (kbnelson.wordpress.com)
- The Value of 20 Minutes a Day (lenleatherwood.wordpress.com)
- Flash Fiction Prompt from Vol. I (genpub.wordpress.com)
- Friday Flash Fiction – “Missed Connections” (kbnelson.wordpress.com)
- Friday Fictioneers-Luck of the? (teschoenborn.com)